3 1/2 cups white wheat flour—I use King Arthur’s
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground vanilla
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg & cloves
1/2 cup salted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (light or dark will work)
1 large egg
½ teaspoon Mannix Vanilla Extract
2/3 cup unsulphered molasses-I use organic
1. Mix the dry ingredients in a large zip bag.
2. With a standing mixer using the paddle attachment OR by hand, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Add the egg, vanilla, and molasses, beating until combined.
4. Gradually add the flour to the butter, beating until combined. It’s easy to pour into the bowl from a bag.
5. Divide the dough in half and form into 2 disks. Refrigerate in plastic wrap or parchment paper for 2 hours or overnight.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpats.
7. Between 2 pieces of parchment paper, roll out one of the disks until its 1/4 thick all around.
8. Cut out cookies with different shapes (gingerbread men, stars, Christmas tree, etc.) and using a spatula transfer cookie to the baking sheet.
9. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes.
10. Remove to a cooling rack. If desired, press in mini chocolate chips (Clara calls these kisses) for eyes, nose, buttons